Thursday, March 10, 2011

It's Getting Closer

There is just today (Thursday) and tomorrow and then Saturday morning will find me, three pieces of luggage, a laptop bag and two cats en route to SeaTac. My stuff within the house has been packed, to include the TV and DVD player (sorry Mike!) and my mother and I spent the day yesterday color-coding stuff for Tim's pack-out this summer. I'm living out of my suitcases now which, oddly, is a nice relief. When there are so few choices (what to wear, eat, do for fun), I find I'm relieved of the whole decision-making process. I have two pairs of pants now that aren't business-attire: jeans for today, black cords for tomorrow, jeans Friday, black cords Saturday... repeat. What to watch on TV? Well there's no TV now, better finish that book instead. It's kinda' nice.

On a more sentimental note: I just read my pal Heidi's entry from today (see "Foreign Obsession" in the links to the right) and all I want to say is: ME TOO! 

For those who have heard me talk about this whole Foreign Service idea, then plan, then the details of the exams and essays ad nauseum - I think you all will understand how much this means to me to be where I am now. I don't have to knock on wood anymore when talking about the prospect; it's real. Tim and I confidently say, "We should do this or that when we get to post" and unless I do something really, really stupid -it WILL happen. Heidi noted in her entry today about seeing the roof of the White House while she was in DC for her final oral assessment, and I felt the same way upon seeing the Capitol. I looked at it and said, "I will be back!" (Not like Ah-nold does, though. More like Reese Witherspoon in "Legally Blonde," but not in heels. Anyway...)  I told my examiners that day that I wanted to serve the US in some capacity, and that since I was too old for the military and too slow for the Olympics - the Foreign Service could be my ticket. I love being on the Varsity Team now, the Major Leagues; I am filled with pride to be moving on towards this new challenge.

Before any of you lose your lunch due to the sappiness-factor here, please know that it is all you all's fault!  My friends, family and co-workers (and most of you fit into at least two of those categories) who have encouraged my gypsy ramblin' ways and who never told me that I couldn't do something.

You're all coming with me in ways both big and small, and probably ways that you're completely unaware of.

Next stop: Eastern time zone.

1 comment:

  1. AAAAAAW!! Thanks for the plug!

    I totally said the same thing at the OA. Mine was more like...I am not good at combat...but this is what I am good at and I want to serve my country in this capacity.

    See you like in 2 days or so.

    ReplyDelete